'Verweilung, auch am Verstrautesten nicht, ist uns gegeben' - Rilke
If skin could tell stories, mine
would have a pretty interesting story to tell.
The first thing you have to
understand is that they aren't needed reasons to be depressed. You simply are
depressed. It's not something that happens following the pattern of 'cause
and consequence'. OK, it's true that there is often a trigger. But it
is a disease such as cancer. Slower, but...
What I mean is that it's not
necessary to blame anyone.
The next thing I want to say is that
depression is like a deep well. There is no easy way out. I'm not even
sure there's a way out. Sometimes I feel that I'll always have one foot in
the well.
I'm not sure what I mean,
really. I always try to look... optimistic, at least. How ironic,
isn't it? An optimistic depressive. But if I don't try I won't get
it. At the end of the day, there is nothing to save. That also means
that I have nothing to lose.
I'm not sure why I'm explaining
this. Surely, the vast majority of people will not care at all about
this. Overall, we all have our problems. The big... drawback is that
depression doesn't have a physical manifestation. No strange lumps
growing, no physical pain. Usually... dark circles and weight loss,
yep. And a general apathy.
I couldn't tell when mine
started. What my friends call the Great Trigger took place six months
ago... exactly. But before that I was already somewhat faded. I
started losing weight after that moment. Doctors said it was anorexia
nervosa, but it wasn't exactly that. I didn't want to eat, of course
not. But I was not hungry.
It's the great tragedy of our
era. They say that cancer is the great disease of our century, but I don't
think so. Cancer is much older, it has always existed. And while
nowadays there are more causes, there are also more solutions. It can be
cured in many cases.
Yet with depression electroshock is
still used.
I'm exhausted. Our world
is moving too fast. I remember when I was fourteen all journals spoke of
anorexia and of helping the girls that were suffering it. I remember
thinking that I would never fall into something so absurd. We were all
very concerned. And then... they all forgot. All these girls
starving, all the tragedy behind the fashion industry. People stopped
caring. It wasn't new anymore, it was... it wasn't morbid
anymore. And the girls continue to die of hunger surrounded by food.
Mine wasn't so strong. It's
not, I mean. You never quite overcomes it, no matter what they
say. You always see yourself... chubby. Only one step away from being
obese. And ugly. Unappealing. Generally unpleasant.
I just... I wasn't hungry. I
saw myself fatty, yep, but I didn't kill myself of hunger on purpose. I
just didn't feel like eating. Breakfast and dinner were
expendable. And lunch some days too. I was queasy at
times. Today it's all that prevails.
Nausea.
But actually everything came from
the same place. Depression. I'll always think that it's the great tragedy
of our century. Where does this pain, this despair, comes? It's like
having a stone in the stomach and a hole in the chest. An empty, a
burden... everything drains me. Nothing really matters, despite the fact
that everything is right. Good things don't matter and bad things... bad things
are too bad to go ahead.
Why get out of bed? Why to do...
anything?
And nobody cares. You're simply
depressed. You're simply...
We are left behind. They try
for days, weeks, sometimes months. But in the end they always give
up. At the end they always say that we don't fight to
survive. Because it's not something physical.
The great tragedy of depression is
this. It's... a self-immolation. We only hurt ourselves, so
actually...
Actually, what?
I don't know what I mean by all
this. I'm aimlessly stumbling, without direction. My entire life is like
that. Flashes. A sort of comet bouncing in the dark, a rock without a defined
source and without a place to belong. Occasionally there is a spark that
gets me going. Get up, clean everything, make yourself useful.
Then everything turns off.
Vacuum.
It's about loneliness. Being
alone in a sea of people, without having a single hand to hold. The feeling that we
have lost something. That we lost something much, much before
birth. Or maybe it was never there.
And who cares?
It comes down to the same thing, in
the end. It's really difficult to get out of this. It's almost impossible
to leave it behind without sequelae. It's very easy to believe that all is
well and collapse suddenly. Sometimes is enough just a single blow to the
house of cards crumbles. A disappointment. A...
Acting, that's the key. Act and
continue acting until oneself believe what he or she does. "I'm
fine", "It's not so terrible".
"I'm stronger than it
looks," that's my favorite.
But sometimes... just sometimes...
I guess sooner or later I'll find a
sun whose orbit is worthwhile. Or who has a light strong enough even for
my shadows. Meanwhile...
I once met a German guy who used to
recite poetry to me at night. I don't even know how to write his name, but
for me it always sounded something like Jürgen. His eyes were very
light blue, his hair was very blond and his face was round, and he had sweet
smile. His skin used to be an amalgam of colors, a sort of patched surface
with red, white and pink. Too pale for the Spanish sun, my sweet German
boy. I used to give him back rubs with moisturizer at night, after full
days of walking. He used to laugh softly while I was doing that. He
didn't speak a word of Spanish, I knew only five words in German and our
English was almost a joke. And yet...
Feelings are a complicated
thing. How much of Jürgen was real, how much I invented basing on his way
to smile? What would he think of the black-haired girl who sang at
night? What led him to recite poetry to me?
Rilke, that was the poet. I
didn't remember it when I wanted to speak about him, and perhaps was for
best. Rilke will stay in the nights under the stars, on the Camino de
Santiago. In those moments which are what make me go forward. Flashes.
People passing by our life and disappearing, leaving behind a blurry photo,
words, memories of a laugh. Flashes, yep.
We fade ourselves. But it always
seems to be someone willing to deliver something at just the right
time. When only embers remained, Jürgen appeared with his outlandish air
and his easy laugh.
There will always be a reason to go
on.
What story would tell my skin?
The story of those summer nights,
for example. How can you break the veil of sadness with all the ease in
the world, how easy it is to trust.
Who am I to talk about depression,
sadness, love? Me, the one who fell in love in a fleeting summer, sharing
the road, knowing that it was destined to end?
Me, the one who never stops loving
anyone.
Don't give up, that's the
key. No matter how much pain seems to exist. There is always another
comet in the universe, on his or her way to nowhere. Another blurry photo
to share, and some words that we don't even understand.
We aren't allowed to linger, even
with what is most intimate.
But just that, memories, intimacy,
is what prevails.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario